Follow on Bloglovin

11.20.2013

University of Glasgow/Hogwarts & The Kelvingrove Museum

On my last day in Scotland, Andrew showed me around his campus at University of Glasgow.















What he failed to tell me is that his university is basically a castle, and looks more like Hogwarts than a university campus. It was founded in 1451 (way older than the USA) and is absolutely beautiful!

We then popped over to the nearby Kelvingrove Art Museum.




A Salvador Dalí painting, Christ of Saint John of the Cross.




Monet's Vétheuil.









I thoroughly enjoyed this museum because it was a brilliant combination of beautiful classics like Claude Monet, great eccentric minds like Salvador Dalí, and a mixture of beautiful paintings I've never seen in books before. I especially appreciated that absolutely nothing in this museum bored me--it was a great museum that didn't take itself too seriously.

There also was a small portion of it dedicated to wildlife, both in Scotland and in the Amazon (random, I know). It was like a natural history museum wing of an art museum basically!






There is also a ginormous organ in the lobby of the museum, and at 1 PM, a small recital was played for all museum-goers. 


After finishing up at the museum, our stomachs were rumbling like mad. We needed to find good food quick! Luckily, Terenzi was able to steer us over to Spuntini's, right cross from the university campus. It's a delicious Italian restaurant that does fantastic lunch specials.





All of this food came to only 12 pounds!

We then made a mad dash to the city center because I had a sudden inspiration to buy a tartan scarf as my Scottish souvenir.


Things were looking pretty bleak for my quest. Everything was too expensive or the colors were too manly. We had almost given up hope, and then we found this little gem for only 12 pounds!


A few hours later and I was boarding the train from Glasgow Central that would take me rumbling back on home to London. Thanks Scotland (and Andrew), it's been fabulous!





No comments:

Post a Comment